Perioperative Leadership Course: Leading Teams to Higher Performance
Sun. September 16| 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM |
The healthcare environment is rapidly changing and becoming more challenging for leaders during this time of health reform. Both new and experienced perioperative managers, directors, and supervisors are required to be well informed about changes in health policy, manage and motivate a diverse staff, engage their patient populations and navigate a value-based reimbursement system. How you got to your current role, may not be enough to sustain you in future roles. Take the Healthcare Leadership Challenge to upgrade your skills to the next level.
This cutting-edge program is built on the Leadership Challenge Model, an evidence-based framework representing 30 years of research with thousands of leaders in a wide range of industries throughout the world. A key finding is that followers want their leaders to be honest, forward-looking, competent and inspiring. On the basis of their research, Kouzes and Posner identified five practices of exemplary leadership. Great leaders do the following:
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart
These practices are especially relevant in healthcare where patient outcomes are dependent on excellent communication, strong teamwork and patient engagement. As an industry, healthcare is undergoing massive transformation. Reimbursement for care has historically been volume-based but is now moving to a system that is value-based. There is an intense focus in most organizations on reducing costs while improving quality and safety. These goals often conflict with one another. Staff look to their leaders for support in their work and to help explain the challenges they face. This requires leadership credibility.
By attending the full day workshop, you will set the stage for a week of growth and reflection while gaining tools and on-the-job examples to become a better leader.
During this pre-conference workshop you will:
- Participate in interactive sessions on each of the five practices of leadership and learn how to incorporate best practices from the model into your perioperative leadership practices.
- Network with other perioperative leaders in highly interactive group work.
- Identify leadership strategies to meet the needs of the changing perioperative nursing workforce.
- Complete a Leadership Practices Inventory Self-Assessment to understand current strengths and opportunities for development in the five exemplary practices.
- Clarify your personal leadership values and vision.
- Develop a leadership action plan with follow-up activities to implement in your facility.
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Workshop Agenda and Goals
- Completion and Scoring of the LPI Leadership Assessment
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- LPI Leadership Results Interpretation
- Overview of the Leadership Challenge Model
- What Got You Here May Not Get You There - Why Leaders Need to Change
9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Break
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- What Staff Want from their Perioperative Leaders
- Modeling the Way - Earning and Sustaining Leadership Credibility
- Inspiring a Shared Vision - Leading Teams to Higher Levels of Performance
- Group Exercise on Developing Your Leadership Values and Principles
12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Lunch
12:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Challenge the Process - Driving Organizational Change and Innovation
- Enabling Others to Act - Building Trust and Becoming a Leader-Coach
- Encouraging the Heart - Fostering a Work Culture that Promotes Excellence
- Group Exercise on Retaining Millennial Nurses in the Perioperative Setting
2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Next Steps - Your Development Plan to Apply Best Practices Learned
- Program Evaluation
Please note: There is a separate $495 registration fee for this one-day workshop.
Track: Pre-Conference Workshops
Director, Nursing Leadership Institute
Florida Atlantic University